Explore new horizons with this feature rich GPS-equipped portable
Featuring the SiRF star III high performance GPS receiver, Kenwood's TH-D72E dual-band tranceiver is compatible with APRS data communications. Offering position and weather information the TH-D72E opens up broad new vistas of outdoor enjoyment, especially for activities like trekking.
- Built-in high performance GPS receiver
- APRS firmware equipped as standard
- USB (Mini-B) port
- Built-in 1200/9600 bps TNC comliant with AX.25 protocol
- Stand-alone digipeater
- Simple node access with Echolink memory
- Support for MCP-4A software
- APRS features that expand your enjoyment: 1) Positional/directional data, 2) Meteorological information, 3) Station list
Enhanced operating ease and visibility
Thanks to the menu and arrow keys, selecting the many different functions is intuitively easy. All keys are backlit to facilitate use in the dark, and the full dot matrix LCD screen ensures the icons and text messages are clearly visible. Also, the rotary encoder knob on the top of the transceiver allows separate adjustment of volume and frequency.
MIL-STD810 & IP54 weatherproofing
Heavy-duty specs mean you do not have to worry about getting caught in a shower. Fully prepared for tough outdoor conditions, the TH-D72E is very robust. And as well as offering IP54 levels of dust-proofi ng and splash-proofi ng, it meets or exceeds the US MIL-STD standards for rain, humidity, vibration and shock.
On powering up, the transceiver will display your call sign and a message for 2 seconds. You can compose messages of up to 8 characters, and if you use the MCP-4A software you can have the transceiver display an icon of your own design.
Long operating hours (high-capacity battery included)
The TH-D72E comes with a rechargeable 1,800mAh lithium-ion battery. A single charge will power the transceiver for approximately 6 hours of continuous use with TX output set to the 5-watt maximum. Output can be set to HI (5W), LOW (0.5W), or EL (0.05W).
Dual receive on same band (VxV, UxU)
In addition to simultaneous receive on both 144 MHz and 430 MHz bands, this radio can receive two frequencies on the same band. This means, say, that you can arrange to have both the call channel and local channel, or the repeater channel and local channel, on the same VHF or UHF band.
Automatic display of relay path
A pop-up display showing the call sign of a digipeater currently relaying your own beacon enables you to check on wireless traffi c at a glance.
- Messages: up to 100 (max. 67 characters each)
- Status: 5 x max. 42 characters
- User phrases (editable messages): 8 types x max. 32 characters
A special call function provides immediate notifi cation when a message is received from a designated station.
Kenwood Sky Command System II
The Kenwood Sky Command System II allows you to use the TH-D72E for remote access to Kenwood’s designated HF radios. Operating as the Commander, your TH-D72E transmits control signals to the Transporter, which also relays your voice to the HF radio. In return, HF signals are transmitted back to the Commander. This system allows you to transmit and receive HF signals, set frequencies (with LCD confi rmation), switch memory channels, and much more – all remotely. You can thus enjoy HF access using the TH-D72E while making a quick trip to the local store.
- 1,000 memory channels and 8-character names
- 9 scan modes (VFO, Programme, MHz, Memory, Memory Group, Call, Tone, CTCSS, DCS)
- 42 CTCSS frequencies
- 104 DCS (Digital Code Squelch) codes
- Waypoint export
- DX cluster tune
- Clock (date/time)
- Band mask
- Call channel
- Auto power-off
- MHz mode
- Selectable frequency step
- Auto repeater offset
- Automatic simplex checker
- DTMF memory (10 channels, 16 digits
- Time-out timer
- Key lock
- APRS lock
- Power-on password
- Memory shift
- Programmable VFO
- Key beep on/off
- Programmable function key
- Channel display mode
- Adjustable LCD contrast
- Reset (VFO, PART, FULL)
- External GPS receiver input (2.5mm stereo jack)
Multiple functions accessible from over 60 APRS® menus
- QSY function (exchange of operating frequency data)
- Auto message reply
- Packet fi lter
- Decay algorithm (automatic extension of transmit interval)
- Proportional pathing (automatic selection of relay path)
- 57 graphic symbols (icons)
- 3 types of grid square locator